Registering for a Saskatchewan IFTA license

Everything you need to know from application to renewal of a Saskatchewan IFTA license.

Saskatchewan is a non-fuel tax state but administers an IFTA program as a service to other state operating Saskatchewan-based companies that charge fuel tax. So if you are a trucking company operating out of Saskatchewan, Canada, you may need to register for an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) license in the province.

Table of Contents

  1. Do you have to get an Saskatchewan IFTA license?
  2. How to register for an Saskatchewan IFTA license
  3. Cost of an Saskatchewan IFTA license
  4. How to file your IFTA return in Saskatchewan
  5. When and how to renew your Saskatchewan  IFTA license
  6. Penalties you must watch out for
  7. Exemptions
  8. How to calculate your IFTA fuel tax

Even if your operations span across multiple other provinces or even down to the United States, as long as your carrier/business is based in Saskatchewan, you must register under the procedures for Saskatchewan.

Not based in Saskatchewan? Click here to find the IFTA registration guide for your province/state.

Do you have to register for IFTA in Saskatchewan?

If you were wondering whether or not you’re exempt, know that you must register and file for IFTA if you have:

  • Any vehicle with two axles and a gross vehicle weight of over 11,797 kilograms or 26,000 pounds
  • A vehicle of any weight but with three or more axles
  • A vehicle that exceeds 11,797 kilograms or 26,000 pounds

Now, let’s get into the steps you need to take in order to register for IFTA in Saskatchewan.

The government of Saskatchewan has made it possible to report and remit tax electronically through a secure, fast, easy and convenient online self-service portal. Several services are currently available to businesses through Saskatchewan e-Tax Services (SETS)

Create an account on SETS in order to be able to do the following:

  • Register for secure, self-managed access to all your tax accounts.
  • Apply for a new tax account.
  • Apply, renew and check status of various Fuel Tax related permits.
  • Report exempt or tax reduced fuel sales through the EFSR menu option.
  • File and pay returns and amend previously filed returns.
  • Make payments on account, including post-dated payments.
  • View account balance and statement information.
  • Authorize employees or accountants to file on your behalf.
  • Receive notifications by email when a tax return should be filed.

How to register for an IFTA license in Saskatchewan

  1. Register using SETS which is an online service that offers a secure, fast, and convenient way to register your IFTA account.
  2. Complete and return an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) License Application to:


Ministry of Finance
Revenue Division
PO Box 200
Regina SK S4P 2Z6

Cost of the Saskatchewan IFTA license

There is an annual license fee of $65.00 and an additional $2.00 per set of decals. Each qualified vehicle is required to have one set of decals.

Filing your quarterly IFTA return

File using Saskatchewan eTax Service (SETS), which is an online service that offers a secure, fast and convenient way to file your IFTA return. There are two options to file using SETS:

Renewing your IFTA license in Saskatchewan

Renew using Saskatchewan eTax Services (SETS), which is an online service that offers a secure, fast and convenient way to renew your IFTA license. There are two options to renew using SETS:

Your IFTA Saskatchewan license is valid for one year and expires on December 31st.  Make sure you are compliant with the IFTA taxes as mentioned above and submit your IFTA sticker renewal application before November 30th.  You may file for an extension if needed. However, it will not apply if you haven’t submitted the IFTA renewal application on time.

If your IFTA decals are lost, stolen, or damaged, you can obtain an IFTA sticker replacement at an additional cost.

Watch out for these penalties

It’s imperative that you submit the returns before the due dates to avoid fines or penalties. Delinquency can result in a penalty of 10% of the total tax liability, or $50, whichever is greater. If you are late or fail to make the required payments, your IFTA license cannot be renewed.

IFTA Exemptions

Farmers, commercial fishermen, trappers and loggers may apply for a Fuel Tax Exemption Permit to purchase tax exempt or tax reduced marked diesel fuel for use in their farming, commercial fishing, trapping and logging activities.


An eligible farmer is:

  1. A person who owns or rents land,
  2. Controls and is responsible for the operation of a farm; and
  3. Meets at least one of the following criteria:
    • The person must own or rent at least 75 acres (30 hectares) of cultivated land in Saskatchewan, that is used for the growing of cereal crops; or
    • The person received gross annual revenue of at least $10,000 from the sale of primary farm products that he or she produced in Saskatchewan.

A person may also qualify as a farmer if he or she is a member or shareholder in and contributed substantially to the agricultural operation of a farm organization, such as:

  • An agricultural corporation;
  • Farm partnership;
  • Farm co-operative; or,
  • Farm colony.

Commercial Fishermen, Trappers and Loggers

Licensed commercial fishermen, trappers and loggers are eligible when they present the necessary proof that they are licensed.

How to Apply

Apply online – Fuel Tax Exemption Permit Application

You may also apply by mail. Complete and submit a Fuel Tax Exemption Permit Application.

Mail completed form to:

Saskatchewan Finance
PO Box 200
Regina, SK S4P 2Z6

Commercial fishermen, trappers and loggers must provide the details of their license, permit or contract number on the permit application.


Need to calculate your IFTA fuel tax and mileage?

Read our in depth guide below.