Registering for a Washington IFTA license

Everything you need to know to get your Washington IFTA license.

If you are a trucking company operating out of Washington, USA you may need to register for an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) license in the state. Even if your operations span across multiple states or even up to Canada, as long your carrier/business is based in Washington, you must register under the procedures for Washington.

Not based in Washington? Click here to find the IFTA registration guide for your province/state.


Do you have to register for IFTA in Washington?

If you were wondering whether or not you’re exempt, know that you must register and file for IFTA if you meet the following requirements:

  • be based in Washington with a physical address located in Washington
  • operate qualified vehicles in 2 or more states or provinces and meeting at least 1 of the following requirements:
    • commercial vehicles over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW); or
    • vehicles with 3 or more axles regardless of weight; or
    • combination vehicles over 26,000 pounds GVW (does not include recreational vehicles)
  • have an active UBI number registered with Secretary of State’s office unless you are a sole proprietor
  • register with the Department of Revenue (DOR) for a UBI if you are a sole proprietor, Corporation, or LLC
  • register for a United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) number with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA)
  • complete an IFTA Application for a license and IFTA Decal Application including payment.
Now, let’s get into the steps you need to take in order to register for IFTA in Washington.

How to register for an IFTA license in Washington

There are 3 ways to apply and pay for a license:

Cost of the Washington IFTA license

Washington IFTA license is issued free of cost with each set of paid decals. The decals cost $10 per set of 2 decals. 

To get decals: 

Complete an IFTA Decal Application. You can complete the application via TAP, or submit the application and payment by mail to the address in the Mailing section of the form, or bring the completed application to one of the field offices.

Filing your quarterly IFTA return

As an IFTA member, you must complete and file an IFTA tax return every 3 months. You must file when:

  • you don’t have any mileage to report (mark “No operation” on the tax return),
  • you travel only in Washington,
  • there is no payment due.

You will be mailed pre-printed quarterly IFTA tax returns which include barcoded information to active account holders. Included in this quarterly mailing is the current IFTA tax rate schedule. IFTA quarterly tax returns must be submitted on the original pre-printed form or you can access TAP to electronically complete the quarterly tax return.

How to file

File online via  Taxpayer Access Point (TAP)  or complete the pre-printed IFTA Tax Return form for the correct period. Tax Returns must be submitted per below:

Q1: January, February, March –> Due: April 30

Q2: April, May, June –> Due: July 31

Q3: July, August, September –> Due: October 31

Q4: October, November, December –> Due: January 31st

Renewing your IFTA license in Washington

Prior to the end of the year, a renewal application will be issued automatically to eligible IFTA licensees, so just make sure to watch out for that in the mail.

Watch out for these penalties

Interest is set annually by IFTA, Inc. at 2 percentage points above the underpayment rate established by the IRS. This rate accrues monthly at 1/12 the annual rate.

Washington charges 1% interest on the full amount owed as of the 1st of the following month if the balance due has not been paid. Washington interest is applied to the net balance due on the first of the month following the due date of the filed return.

Need to calculate your IFTA fuel tax and mileage?

Read our in depth guide below.